BREAKING NEWS
Breaking

728x90

.

468x60

‘Direct interference’ — ADC faults Wike’s presence at polling units during FCT council polls



 

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has accused Nyesom Wike, minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), of directly interfering in the conduct of Saturday’s area council elections by appearing at multiple polling units across Abuja.

 

The party said Wike’s presence at the voting units was inappropriate and capable of undermining the credibility of the electoral process.

 

Wike reportedly moved round several polling units in Abuja during the election, beginning from about 12:15 p.m. at the Karu axis of the FCT.

 

In a statement issued on Saturday evening, Bolaji Abdullahi, national publicity secretary of the ADC, said the minister’s actions amounted to “direct interference” in the elections, stressing that he had no constitutional role in the exercise.

 

According to Abdullahi, Wike’s presence at active voting locations was “vexatious and meddlesome” and could intimidate both voters and electoral officials.

 

The ADC spokesperson also alleged that the minister had earlier imposed a curfew on potential voters, describing the move as a further attempt to suppress participation in the election.

 

“He is not a registered voter in the FCT, and as a known partisan figure and cabinet minister, he has no constitutional role in the election exercise,” the statement reads.

 

 

He further raised concerns over reports of voter suppression and intimidation in parts of the FCT, alleging collaboration between agents of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and some security personnel.

 

Abdullahi also flagged disruptions to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s result viewing portal (IReV), noting that the platform remained inaccessible while collation of results was ongoing.

 

He described the development as “a curious coincidence” and called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to immediately restore full functionality of the portal and provide a public explanation for the disruption.

 

He urged ADC agents and supporters to remain calm but vigilant and to properly document any incidents observed during the electoral process.

 

 

Click to signup for FREE news updates, latest information and hottest gists everyday


Advertise on NigerianEye.com to reach thousands of our daily users
« PREV
NEXT »

No comments

Kindly drop a comment below.
(Comments are moderated. Clean comments will be approved immediately)

Advert Enquires - Reach out to us at NigerianEye@gmail.com