Babajide Sanwo-Olu, governor of Lagos, says he is shocked by the fresh explosion which rocked a part of the state.
At least eight people were killed after a gas explosion occurred in the Baruwa area of Ipaja in Lagos, on Thursday.
The gas station belonging to Best Roof Cooking Gas exploded burning buildings around it.
In a statement on Thursday, Gboyega Akosile, the governor’s chief press secretary, said Sanwo-Olu expressed shock over the incident.
Akosile quoted Sanwo-Olu as saying reports on the cause of the explosion suggested negligence on the part of the gas plant operators.
He said the government would take stiffer measures against operators of gas plants and any combustible items in the state to avoid future recurrence of such a disaster.
“The gas explosion this morning has left a sour taste in my mouth. It is a reminder of the dark episode of March this year at Abule Ado Soba when innocent lives were lost to gas explosions of monumental proportion and properties destroyed. I really can’t believe that we would witness another such incident, no matter how little,” he said.
“I wish to therefore register my heartfelt condolences to the families of those that lost their loved ones in the fire. I pray that God grant their souls eternal rest.
“The reports I got showed that the explosion could have been avoided if the operators of the gas plant had adhered to safety guidelines. Lives would have been saved and properties too would not have been affected.”
Sanwo-Olu said the Lagos State Safety Commission and the Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency have been notified of the next line of action.
On September 24, a gas explosion rocked the Ifako-Ijaiye area of Lagos. 16 persons were injured in the explosion and properties were destroyed.
Click to signup for FREE news updates, latest information and hottest gists everyday
Advertise on NigerianEye.com to reach thousands of our daily users