The Osun state police command says 60-year-old Tajudeen
Yusuf was shot dead in Osogbo on Wednesday shortly after some hoodlums
allegedly attempted to gain access to David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido,
during a visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun.
Davido was in the company of Ademola Adeleke, governor of
Osun, who had visited the place to present his certificate of return to the
monarch after winning the August 15 governorship election.
Earlier on Wednesday, hoodlums had reportedly opened fire on
Adeleke’s convoy, but no casualty was reported.
The governor reportedly arrived at the palace at about
3:15pm in a convoy of 20 vehicles.
However, suspected thugs reportedly opened fire on the
governor’s convoy, triggering an exchange of gunfire with his security
personnel.
The shooting was said to have lasted for about 12 to 15
minutes, shortly after the governor received prayers from the monarch.
In a statement on Wednesday evening, Abiodun Ojelabi, police
spokesperson in Osun, said a full-scale investigation had been launched into
the shooting incident that occurred at the Itaolokan area of the state capital.
“On Wednesday, 19th August 2026, at about 1600hrs, the
Command received information that one Tajudeen Yusuf, male, aged 60 years, of
Oke-Ayepe area, Osogbo, was shot by suspected hoodlums at Itaolokan area of
Osogbo,” the statement reads.
“Preliminary investigation revealed that earlier in the day,
His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Osun State, Senator Ademola Adeleke,
accompanied by his nephew, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, paid a
courtesy visit to the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Olanipekun, at the palace.
“Immediately after the visit, one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly
known as “Small Rugged”, an ex-convict, a suspected notorious thug and a member
of eye confraternity allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was
resisted by members of his security Team.”
According to the police spokesperson, the ensuing
confrontation attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who
temporarily blocked the entrance to the palace and obstructed movements, but
the convoy eventually left the area safely.
Ojelabi said the suspected gang members immediately departed
the vicinity but allegedly shot Yusuf on their way out.
“Upon receiving the information, the police immediately
mobilised a patrol team to the scene, where the victim was found lying in a
pool of blood,” he said.
“He was promptly rushed to the University Teaching Hospital,
Osogbo, for medical attention. Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead by the
doctors on duty.
“The Command has commenced a full-scale investigation into
the incident and intensified efforts to identify, apprehend and bring the
fleeing suspects to justice.”
Ojelabi said Samuel Etaifo, commissioner of police
(election) for Osun, condemned the “dastardly act” and assured members of the
public that the command would deploy all available resources to apprehend those
responsible.
He urged anyone with useful information that could assist
the investigation to promptly approach the nearest police station or contact
the command through its official channels.
Advertise on NigerianEye.com to reach thousands of our daily users
No comments
Post a Comment
Kindly drop a comment below.
(Comments are moderated. Clean comments will be approved immediately)
Advert Enquires - Reach out to us at NigerianEye@gmail.com