Page Nav

SHOW

Grid

GRID_STYLE

LATEST NIGERIAN NEWS

latest

Controversy over alleged attack on Atiku’s convoy in Borno

  The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) says a convoy which included a vehicle conveying Atiku Abubakar, its presidential candidate, was attack...


 

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) says a convoy which included a vehicle conveying Atiku Abubakar, its presidential candidate, was attacked in Borno state.

 

Paul Ibe, media adviser to Abubakar, announced the development in a statement issued on Wednesday.

 

Ibe also claimed that supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) were behind the attack.

 

“It is rather unfortunate that the APC in Borno State mobilised some of its members to attack the convoy carrying dignitaries who had earlier paid a courtesy visit at the Shehu of Borno palace to the venue of the rally,” he said.

 

 “While it is well understood that such barbaric behaviour is typical of the APC, it must be noted that, this time around, it is specifically the last kick of a dying horse.

 

“The APC, apparently overwhelmed by the large turn of supporters to greet our presidential candidate, resorted to anti-democratic actions to scare the crowd away from the rally.

 

“It is a similar pattern to what happened during our rally in Kaduna State and it is important to call the attention of all stakeholders in peaceful elections in Nigeria to the dangerous actions being undertaken by the APC to disrupt our rallies, especially in the North.”

 

However, the APC in Borno described the claim as false.

 

Ali Dalori, APC chairman in Borno, who spoke on the claim, said he was “disappointed” over the allegation by the PDP.

 

Also speaking on the development, Sani Muhammed, Borno police spokesperson, in a statement, described the claim by the PDP as “fake news”.

 

“There has been a fake news trending propagated by some mischievous elements across the social media that has attracted the attention of many Nigerians, alleging that the PDP Presidential candidate’s convoy was stoned in Borno on the 9th/11/2022 while holding a campaign rally in the state,” the statement reads.

 “The Commissioner of Police, CP Abdu Umar, was physically present to supervise the place.

 

“The command wishes to state authoritatively that the news is not only fake but also false and mischievous attempt by some unguided people to incite disturbance and distract the peace of Borno people and Nigeria at large.

 

“The campaign/rally was conducted successfully, as tight/adequate security coverage was emplaced throughout the activities. The candidate and his party were accompanied to the Shehu’s Palace by the Police to pay a courtesy call to the Shehu of Borno, Alhaji Abubakar Ibn Umar Garbai Al-amin El-Kanemi, after which they were escorted until they departed the town.”

 

The Borno police spokesman, however, said someone attempted to “disrupt” the movement of the convoy, but the person was arrested.

 

 “It is worth to note that one person named Danladi Musa Abbas, 32 years old, who attempted to disrupt the convoy along the airport road was arrested by the Police inside a church after a hot chase in an attempt to escape. He is under the command’s custody with a stone which is an exhibit,” Muhammed said.

 

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Abdu Umar, is therefore calling the attention of the general public to avoid spreading rumours and fake news that may disrupt the peaceful coexistence and incite disturbance, particularly as election is forthcoming.

 

 “Finally, the command is at top gear to ensure that Borno state is free from any conflict, before, during and even after the election.”

 

No comments

Kindly drop a comment below.

(Comments are moderated. Clean comments will be approved immediately. No swear words, no racism, allowed)