NDLEA clarifies sale of buildings at Lagos headquarters

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) has refuted claims that it sold buildings at the Lagos headquarters.

A message in circulation claims that a former Chairman/CEO of the anti-narcotics supervised the sale.

The information against the Buba Marwa-led agency added that officers and men were consequently stranded.

In a statement on Wednesday, NDLEA Media Director, Femi Babafemi called it “a total distortion of facts”.

Babafemi said the buildings referred to did not belong to the agency as they were part of national headquarters before relocation to Abuja years ago.

He explained that a Presidential Implementation Committee (PIC) on Federal Government Landed Properties took over the structures following a government directive.

The spokesman said all vacated or underutilised government properties were taken over by the PIC, sold and the proceeds paid to federal government coffers.

“At the time of relocation, 70% of the Agency’s headquarters staff moved to Abuja while the remaining 30% are still in Shaw road office, Ikoyi.

“This remaining 30% will soon join the main headquarters in Abuja as soon as the new HQ building, recently bought by the federal government for the agency, is ready for occupation”, he noted.

Babafemi said like other federal government agencies whose properties were taken over by the PIC, NDLEA had no hand in the sale and does not know who bought them.

The director admitted that the challenge is how to remove officers and men “who live within communities where they are exposed to dangers into secure accommodation”.

The statement added that the concern is being addressed by the federal government through budgetary provisions for the construction of barracks across Nigeria.

No comments

Post a Comment

Kindly drop a comment below.
(Comments are moderated. Clean comments will be approved immediately)

Advert Enquires - Reach out to us at NigerianEye@gmail.com

© Copyright © 2023 NigerianEye.com | Your Online Nigerian Newspaper | All Rights Reserved