President Donald Trump of the United States has tested positive for the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) — just roughly 31 days to the 2020 presidential election.
The president confirmed this on Twitter after one of his aides Hope Hicks initially tested positive for the virus.
“Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!”
Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2020
Trump had earlier said himself and the first lady will begin quarantine for 14 days — this is expected to affect his campaign process and disrupt his planned rallies and interviews.
“Hope Hicks, who has been working so hard without even taking a small break, has just tested positive for Covid 19,” he said.
“Terrible! The First Lady and I are waiting for our test results. In the meantime, we will begin our quarantine process!”
According to Bloomberg, the US constitution’s 25th amendment allows Trump to hand over control to the vice president and then reclaim it as soon as he declares himself able.
George Bush, former US president, did handover power twice during his presidency while undergoing medical procedures.
Bush was not the first; Ronald Reagan also did the same when he went in for colon surgery during his presidency.
“If Trump were stricken suddenly or had to be sedated for intubation, the 25th Amendment also allows the vice president and cabinet to execute the transfer of presidential power,” Bloomberg wrote — months before the president tested positive.
Trump had repeatedly ignored experts’ advice on wearing masks for months.
TRUMP TO CONTINUE WORKING FROM WHITE HOUSE
Sean Conley, Trump’s doctor, said the president will quarantine from the White House, where he would continue to work.
“The President and First Lady are both well at this time, and they plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence,” Conley wrote.
“The White House medical team and I will maintain a vigilant watch, and I appreciate the support provided by some of our country’s greatest medical professionals and institutions.
“Rest assured I expect the President to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any further developments”.
Trump joins a list of heads of governments who have tested positive for COVID-19.
Late March, Boris Johnson, prime minister of the UK, tested positive for COVID-19 and had to be admitted early April, where he was in the intensive care unit. He survived.
Brazil’s president has tested for COVID-19 twice but recovered from the disease on both occasions.
In the US, however, eight out of 10 COVID-19-related deaths reported in the United States have been among adults aged 65 years and older.
Pierre Nkurunziza of Burundi is reported to be the first head of state killed by COVID-19.
Click to signup for FREE news updates, latest information and hottest gists everyday
Advertise on NigerianEye.com to reach thousands of our daily users