Senate President Ahmad Lawan says the protests that erupted across the country over police brutality have yielded results.
Following a nationwide outrage, Mohammed Adamu, inspector-general of police (IGP), announced the dissolution of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) on Sunday but protesters have refused to leave the streets.
Speaking on the floor of the senate on Tuesday, Lawan said there may be no need to continue with the protests since SARS has been disbanded.
The senate president said an opportunity should be given to the government to prosecute former SARS operatives involved in human rights abuse.
“The conduct of SARS is not acceptable and it will remain in that part of our history. SARS was funded by public funds and the entire essence of the entire police force is to ensure that there is law and order and security for our people and when SARS turned against the people, it was right for the people to protest peacefully,” the number three citizen said.
“The protest some physically involved, others through their peers. I think the protest has yielded the desired result so far.
“There may not be need to continue the protest again when SARS has been disbanded and those culprits who are involved in the killing and maiming of Nigerians will be brought to book. I think we should give the government the chance to implement those as quickly as possible.
“Nigerians have the right to peaceful protest. The government is a listening administration and the appropriate measures, some have been taken, others will be taken pretty soon. SARS has been disbanded before and of course those involved in the atrocities will be prosecuted.”
Click to signup for FREE news updates, latest information and hottest gists everyday
Advertise on NigerianEye.com to reach thousands of our daily users