The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) diverted funds marked for a community project was used to buy equipment for a private security firm in Delta.
This was contained in the Fiscal Allocation and Statutory Disbursement (FASD) audit report published by the Nigeria Extractive Industries Initiative (NEITI).
The audit report covered between 2012 and 2016.
NEITI said it observed “the supply of whole-body X-ray scanner, Baggage and parcel scanner, including walkie talkies with Base station and mobile repeaters to Uesiri Security Services Ltd. A project meant to be for the whole community but done for a single company.
“It was also observed that there was a general allocation of NGN7.442 billion to the nine-state offices of the commission for the completion of small-ticket projects which were neither identifiable nor scheduled for monitoring and proper management.”
A public search of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) showed that the company was registered in 2006 with the address listed as 2, Audele Close, Oggharefe, Delta.
The firm is also listed as one of the licensed private guard firms by the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).
The report further stated that some projects which had been completed and commissioned are “yet to be put into use or occupied”.
Such projects include:
- Construction of Nigerian Police Barracks (Special Protection Unit – Base 6 Block of flats](Block A)
- Construction of admin block, commander’s residence, service block and Gatehouse with a contract sum of N249,910,500.
- Construction of Nigerian Police Barracks (Special Protection Unit – Base 6) LOT 3:
- Construction of Block of Flats/Residential Quarters (Block B) in Port Harcourt, Rivers State with a contact sum of N249,750,000.
- Construction of mobile Police Barracks (Special Protection Unit – Base 6), LOT 6, – General External Works, Port Harcourt with a contact sum of N249,750,825.
- Construction of Nigeria Police Barracks – Base 6 LOT 4: Construction of Block of flats/Residential Quarters (Block A) in Port Harcourt with a contact sum of N249,750,000
- Construction of Nigeria Police Barracks – Base 6 LOT 2: construction of Block of flats/Residential Quarters (Block A) in Port Harcourt with a contact sum of N249,750,000
Click to signup for FREE news updates, latest information and hottest gists everyday
Advertise on NigerianEye.com to reach thousands of our daily readers