The Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) on Monday said it would continue its ongoing nationwide strike until the Federal Government implement certain agreements reached between the two parties on Sept. 30, 2017.
JOHESU disclosed this at a peaceful rally organised by its national body in Abuja, saying it would not be deterred by the court’s injunction compelling its members to return to work.
Mr Josiah Biobelemoye, National Chairman of the union said the rally was aimed at updating members with current developments regarding the ongoing strike, including the recent court order.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the National Industrial Court (NIC) gave an order on May 25, 2018 compelling JOHESU to call off the strike, which began on April 18.
Biobelemoye emphasised that the union had every right to obey or challenge the court order.
“I own members the responsibility to update them on happenings between us and the government to enable them take decisive position. And whatever they decide is final.
“We call on the government to implement our upward adjustment and other things as contained in the agreement of Sept. 30, 2017.
“No going back on the strike until those things are met’’ he said.
He noted that since the union embarked on strike on April 18, the federal government had met with the leadership eight times.
He however, described the meetings as one step forward and two steps backward.
He mentioned that the amount of money owed the union is N22.6billion and added that due to the intervention of the National Salaries Income and Wages Commission it had been reduced to N16.5 billion.
He said JOHESU’s agreement on the reduction of the entitlement from N22.6 billion to N16. 5 billion was geared toward ensuring lasting solutions to the crisis.
“I urge you to stand up for your right, do not yield to pressure or threat in whatever form by the government.
“Hence, we are not going back to work until they pay us our full entitlement,” he reiterated.
KINDLY DROP A COMMENT BELOW