The Defence Headquarters has denied reports that Nigerian troops had been deployed to Benue State following deadly attacks on some Fulani people in the state.
There were panics and uneasy calm across Benue on Thursday after images cropped up online of a convoy of troops riding along major roads in the state, where several attacks linked to farmers-herders crisis have been recorded in recent weeks.
Reports had it that the troops were heading to Gboko where seven Fulani natives were killed and roasted few days back.
Reacting, however, Defence Spokesperson, John Agim said the claim was not true and it now appears like some people were playing politics with security in the state.
Agum said, “The troops only went on a specific mission and have since returned to base.
“He that is not for us is against us. He that comes late, never came at all,” he added.
While denying the alleged deployment, Agim added that the military could only get involved if the police are unable to contain the violence and ask for a back-up.
He said the troops went on a special mission to further destroy shrines suspected to be hideouts of, “Tiv militia” in Zaki Biam and Katsina Ala areas.
“As witnessed with the Boko Haram menace, the military is the last line of defence. So it cannot just jump up and go into security issues.”YOU MIGHT ENJOY READING