The committee was convened by the National Security Adviser, Maj. Gen. Babagana Monguno (retd.), according to a statement on Tuesday by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.
The statement said the committee, which would be chaired by a military officer of the rank of Major General, would comprise one senior Provost each from the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Navy and the Nigerian Air Force; representatives of the National Intelligence Agency; Defence Intelligence Agency; Nigeria Police Force; Department of State Services; Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps; two representatives of the Yobe State Government and a representative of the Office of the National Security Adviser.
“The terms of reference of the committee include ascertaining the circumstances surrounding the abduction of the girls; confirming the presence, composition, scale and disposition of security in place in Dapchi, as well as in the GGSTC before the incident and suggesting measures that can lead to the location and rescue of the girls,” the statement read in part.
The panel, which is expected to submit its report by March 15, 2018, is also saddled with recommending measures to prevent future occurrence.
The statement said the committee would be inaugurated on Wednesday (today).
The announcement of the setting up of the committee came a day after the main opposition political party, the Peoples Democratic Party, asked the National Assembly to probe the incident.
The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, on Tuesday relocated to Yobe State to supervise the search for the 110 Dapchi schoolgirls.
The presidency disclosed this in a message posted on one of its verifiable Twitter handles, @NGRPresident.
“Today (Tuesday), Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal @CAS_AMSadique relocated to Yobe State to personally superintend the search for the missing Dapchi girls.
“The @NigAirForce had earlier deployed more platforms to the N/East, as security agencies ramp up efforts to locate and rescue the girls,” the message read.
“As of 6pm on Monday, February 26, 2018, the @NigAirForce had flown a total of 200 hours conducting searches for the missing Dapchi girls,” another message posted on the platform read.
Information minister, Mohammed, also confirmed that the Chief of Air Staff had relocated to Yobe State to superintend the search for the girls.
He said the Nigerian Air Force “had earlier deployed more platforms to the North-East for the search, as the security agencies ramp up their efforts to locate and rescue the girls.”
“As of 6 pm on Monday, the NAF had flown a total of 200 hours while conducting the search,” Mohammed added.
Obasanjo’s coalition condemns abduction
The Coalition for Nigeria Movement, led by former President Olusegun Obasanjo, has condemned the abduction of Dapchi schoolgirls.
In a statement by one Omoruyi Edoigiawerie for the National Steering Committee, the coalition called on the Federal Government and security agencies to do everything possible to ensure that the girls were rescued.
The CNM said terrorists must not be allowed to stop or hinder the girl-child education.
The statement read in part, “While we empathise with the parents of our dear daughters, we call on the Federal Government of Nigeria to intensify its fight against terrorism and all forms of extremism and criminality. This cannot become the norm.
“Our resolve to push for a Nigeria that typifies socio-economic development, social justice, equity, equality of opportunity, human security, human rights, good governance and the general wellbeing of all its citizens and inhabitants remains unshaken.”
KINDLY DROP A COMMENT BELOW