The suicide attackers according to a statement by Deputy Director Public Relations, Operation Lafiya Dole, Theatre Command, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu attempted the attack at 6:45 a.m. wearing the suicide vests and approaching the troops even after they were ordered to unstrap their suicide vests.
“Two of the suicide bombers strapped with suicide vests had attempted infiltrating Gamboru town at about 6.45 a.m. when they were sighted by a joint patrol team of vigilant troops and Civilian JTF at Unguwar Yobe area shortly before entering the town.
“They were halted by the patrol team from a safe distance and were ordered to unstrap their suicide vests, to which they vehemently declined.
“All efforts and entreaties by the patrol team to make the suicide bombers remove their IED vests failed as the duo adamantly approached the troops armed with their IED vests. They were immediately neutralised by the troops, while the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team (EOD) safely unstrapped and detonated the suicide vests,” the statement read in part.
A third female suicide bomber, Nwachukwu said, was also detected and intercepted within the same general area.
He said, subsequently, the suicide bomber confessed to the joint patrol that she and the other two terrorists had been dispatched at about 3.30 a.m. on Tuesday to unleash mayhem on Gamboru town.
“She also revealed the location she had hidden her suicide vest and led the troops to recover it. The recovered vests and the surviving suicide bomber have been taken into custody for further interrogations.”
The army, therefore, calls on the general public to be alert and vigilant, while going about their daily activities and report suspicious persons and activities to security agencies accordingly.