As Nigerians continue to react to the Monday morning presidential address by Muhammadu Buhari following his return from the United Kingdom, there are pressing issues Nigerians expected President Buhari to address, but he was silent about them, creating doubts and fears in the minds of many, especially in the social media.
The President addressed Nigeria on Monday following his return to the country from London after spending over 100 days on medical vacation.
While some Nigerians have applauded the president for the speech and termed it a summary of what is expected in few days, some Nigerians have on the other end rated the speech low following his inability to provide details of action-plan.
Analysts have, however, pointed out that they expected President Buhari to give more details about his intention, whether good or bad, especially if he has a clean bill of health.
But his media aides, Femi Adesina and Garba Shehu have since defended the speech, saying, Nigerians are already aware of all that have gone wrong while the president was away, and that going into the nitty-gritty was unnecessary. They said that in a couple of days, it would become visibly clear what Buhari will do, now that he is back.
Here, we take a look at five key issues the President failed to address in his nationwide speech.
1. The President did not mention anything on his health status as Nigerians need to know the status and whether Buhari will go for another follow up. Recall that in his address after the first medical vacation, the president had made it clear that he would return for further treatment as advised by his doctor.
2. The President failed to give hope to the striking Academic Staff Union of University – ASUU. The university lecturers have been on strike for over a week now.
3. President Buhari did not discuss the Nigerian economy, on whether it’s recovering or still stagnant. He also failed to say if Acting President, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo has carried on well or not.
4. During his stay in the United Kingdom, the attention of Nigerians was drawn to certain hyenas and jackals in the Presidency by Aisha Buhari and Senator Shehu Sani, where wife of the President promised that his husband will return and remove them from the government, but Buhari did not speak on the cabals.
5. We also understand that there have been speculations of cabinet reshuffle in various quarters, but the President was silent on that during his address. Garba Shehu had while addressing same, said the president did not announce his cabinet in a national broadcast, hence the announcement will come on its own, and not during the national address.
culled: Daily Post