Chairman of the House of Representatives ad hoc committee investigating the fraudulent Malabu oil deal, Razak Atunwa, on Wednesday explained that only the immediate past President, Goodluck Jonathan can resolve the crisis surrounding the controversial Malabu oil deal, also known as OPL 245.
Recall that the committee had earlier extended an invitation to the former President with regards to the oil deal.
Speaking during a press briefing by the committee, Atunwa said Jonathan’s appearance is key to unraveling the alleged corruption, malpractices and breach of due process in the award of OPL 245.
According to Atunwa, the Committee having conducted extensive investigation into the OPL 245 deal found it proper to get the testimony of Jonathan in concluding its work.
He said, “The Committee is of the view that in the interest of thoroughness, natural justice and fair play, it imperative that evidence should be taken from former President Goodluck Jonathan.
“In arriving at this decision, the Committee took account of the following facts: Mr. Jonathan was the President at the material time the Ministers brokered the deal that lead to the allegation of $1 billion diversion of funds;
“Mr Jonathan’s name features in the proceedings initiated by the Public Prosecutor of Milan in Italy.
“A United Kingdom Court Judgment in relation to an application to return part of the money being restrained, castigated the Jonathan Administration as not having acted in the best interest of Nigeria in relation to the ‘deal.
“The Attorney-General of the Federation at the material time, Mohammed Bello Adoke, has recently instituted proceedings in court wherein he pleads that all his actions were as as instructed by former President Goodluck Jonathan.”