Nine Nigerian soldiers killed in Boko Haram raid | Nigeria News Today. Your online Nigerian Newspaper f

4


Nine Nigerian soldiers were killed and 14 others are missing feared abducted after an attack this week by suspected Boko Haram jihadists in the violence-torn northeast, security sources said Thursday.


Authorities had on Tuesday said five soldiers were killed and five others injured in the raid on a military post near the village of Sabon Garin Kimba about 140 kilometres (90 miles) from Maiduguri, the birthplace of Boko Haram. “The number of fatalities on our side has risen to nine with the discovery of four more bodies of our troops,” said a military officer with knowledge of the incident.

“Since the attack 14 other soldiers remain missing. Their fate is unknown,” said the officer who asked to remain anonymous because he was not authorised to speak on the incident. Scores of fighters loyal to the Boko Haram faction headed by Abu Musab Al-Barnawi stormed the checkpoint late Monday.

The Islamic State group last year appointed Al-Barnawi as head of Boko Haram, replacing long-time leader Abubakar Shekau. Mustapha Karimbe, a member of an anti-Boko Haram militia, said he feared the missing soldiers had been seized. “Fourteen soldiers are unaccounted for, they have been missing since the attack and the fear is that they have have been abducted by the terrorists,” Karimbe said.

The jihadists carrying heavy weapons engaged troops at the checkpoint in a shootout and forced the soldiers to withdraw. Karimbe said the jihadists took military vehicles and burned three armoured cars along with makeshift sheds. This was the second attack on the same military checkpoint in under a month.

Late last month, jihadists dressed in Nigerian military uniforms attacked the checkpoint and forced soldiers to withdraw before looting food and medical supplies from the village. Boko Haram has in recent weeks intensified attacks on military targets in the northeast. The insurgency began in northeast Nigeria and has spread to Chad, Cameroon and Niger, claiming more than 20,000 lives and displacing 2.6 million people.

Post a Comment Default Disqus

  1. Well,well and well. The fight is not over until it is over! Those using this as a success story on which to ride and clinch the 2019 election should have a rethink. All the propaganda about degrading book haram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U must be a fool to call d success propaganda. Even France/Germany etc experience attacks by terrorist. We have made great gains. Held parade in camp zero, book haram former headquarters. NYSC camps in yobe and adamawa states have reopened after 6 and 3 years closure respectively. Many people in borno have returned to their communities. God is with us. There is no local govt under boko haram anymore. After Bin Laden was killed, alqaeda is still carrying our attacks that's how terrorist rings run. And these ones came in military uniform, that's why they could take our armies unawares. Go d is with Nigeria and Buhari. If Cameron, Chad and Niger fight boko haram the same way we are fighting them, by now they will have no where to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why the insults just because a comment was made? You will be well advised to control your emotions. It is people like yours truly that creat the kind of crises that we are having at the moment. You can make progress only when you appreciate and respect the views of others even if you do not agree with it. Learn my friend

      Delete
  3. pls. nigerian army, nigerian soldiers this is bad & sad news to the hearings of the concerned nigerians.do not put us to shame, do something.

    ReplyDelete

Nigeria News Comments are Moderated. Clean Comments will be swiftly approved. No swear words, no racism, allowed.

 
xzb
Top