Army confirms Boko Haram attack on troops | Nigeria News Today. Your online Nigerian Newspaper

0


The Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Borno State, Maj. Gen. Lucky Irabor, on Monday confirmed that some of his troops were ambushed by Boko Haram insurgents in the Damboa area, during which a civilian was shot dead and two others critically injured.


Irabor, said the Boko Haram members escaped into a bush after the ambush.

Irabor said, “There was an incident like that on Saturday. There was a military convoy passing and the Boko Haram came out in an ambush. One civilian was killed and two others injured. The Boko Haram members incidentally ran away. There was no death on the part of the Boko Haram insurgents.

“The insurgents only wanted to disturb the peace and we lost a civilian. If you are in touch with happenings here, you will know that ambushes are not a big deal; two or three terrorists may set up an ambush.

“It was not true that the terrorists took away military vehicles. You cannot have a military convoy in procession and then an ambush, and vehicles will be taken away. We resisted them and they fled into the bush.”

A military source, however, said two soldiers were killed during the ambush and their corpses had been deposited at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital morgue.

He said, “The troops were following some commercial vehicles from Maiduguri to Damboa area, when the Boko Haram attacked them. About eight persons were killed, while the terrorists also injured two soldiers, who later died.

“They hijacked two of the commercial buses and fled toward the Sambisa area.”

Post a Comment Default Disqus

Nigeria News Comments are Moderated. Clean Comments will be swiftly approved. No swear words, no racism, allowed.

 
Top