The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had on November 11, 2016, arraigned Fani-Kayode on five charges involving alleged diversion of N26m which he allegedly received from the then National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, under the guise of payment for contract.
The ex-minister allegedly received the money from the Office of the National Security Adviser while he was the Director of Media and Publicity in the campaign organisation of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.
Fani-Kayode allegedly received the money from the ONSA when he “reasonably ought to have known that the said fund formed part of the proceeds of an unlawful activity of Dasuki and the then Director of Finance and Administration of the ONSA, Shuaibu Salisu”.
The EFCC also accused the former minister of transacting with the said N26m without going through financial institution as required under the Money Laundering Act.
Justice John Tsoho had fixed Wednesday for commencement of trial, but the proceedings were stalled because of Fani-Kayode’s absence from court.
The ex-minister’s lawyer, Mr. Wale Balogun, who apologised to the judge for his client’s absence said the defendant had wished to be present in court on Wednesday out of respect for the court but that the doctor advised the defendant against such idea.
The defence lawyer, who did not mention the nature of Fani-Kayode’s ailment, also showed the judge a letter from an undisclosed hospital where the former minister was said to be receiving treatment.
Balogun, therefore, asked for an adjournment of the case.
Responding to the judge’s question on whether or not he had an objection to the request for an adjournment, the prosecuting counsel, Mr. Johnson Ojogbane, confirmed that he had been shown the medical report on Fani-Kayode’s health status.
He said he would not object to the request for adjournment since it was the first time the defence would be asking for such adjournment.
Justice Tsoho then adjourned till February 6.