The WBA has sanctioned a fight between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko for next year, provided Joshua defeats Eric Molina in December.
Tyson Fury defeated Klitschko 12 months ago and withdrew two times from scheduled rematches, before he finally vacated the belt last month, claiming that he needed to “fully focus on his medical treatment and recovery.”
Promoter Eddie Hearn, has also confirmed a deal is already in place and all that is left, is for him to agree on a date and venue for the bout.
“It was beautiful to finally see the WBA’s decision last night finally allowing the Joshua v Klitschko fight for the spring,” Hearn told Sky Sports.
“The deal is in place and we can now move forward with Bernd and their team to start confirming dates and venues.
“The only thing in AJ’s way is Eric Molina and the full focus must be on the toughest fight of his career on December 10 in Manchester. Wladimir will be ringside with his fingers crossed and victory for AJ will set up this mega fight in March/April 2017.”
It is the first time Klitschko will be boxing, after he suffered his shock points defeat to Fury in Germany.
“Team Klitschko is very happy about this WBA resolution,” Boente told ESPN.
“Wladimir always was a proud and committed WBA ‘super’ champion and now he wants to regain his title. From the beginning, Wladimir made clear how important it is to him that the WBA title is on the line in his next fight.
“Hopefully, Anthony Joshua wins his upcoming fight against Molina and then we have a mega event, a promoter’s dream fight coming true in March or April. Two Olympic super heavyweight gold-medal winners fighting each other, the young lion challenging the old lion. This is a fight each boxing fan around the world wants to see.”