Mr. Wale Adeniyi, the agency's spokesman in a statement on Sunday said the interview attributed to him as the source of the story was granted in 2015.
Adeniyi said stakeholders met recently and reiterated the support for the continuation of the ban on the importation of rice.
“It is necessary to restate the true position in view of the confusion which these publications may create in the industry.
“It is even more expedient to provide this clarification, given that the service has taken a firm position earlier in the week through a joint news conference with stakeholders.
“We like to reiterate the position that importation of rice remains banned through our land borders and we have the commitment of partner government agencies and stakeholders to enforce this restriction.
”While this restriction is in force, rice imports through the ports are still allowed, subject to payment of extant charges.
“The service will, therefore, advocate a total ban on rice importation into Nigeria with effect from 2017.
” It is our belief that continuous waste of scarce forex on a commodity that can be produced locally makes no economic sense, most especially at a period of recession,” Adeniyi said.