The death toll in the sinking of a migrant boat off the coast of Egypt this week has risen to 148.
Beheira, Wahdan el-Sayed, Spokesman for the Delta province, said in Cairo that rescuers on Friday recovered more than 90 bodies, bringing the number of dead so far to 148.
He said, “The toll is likely to increase as the search operations continue.”
The bodies retrieved were those of Egyptians, other Arab nationals and Africans.
Fifty-seven other bodies were recovered in the past two days after the boat sank on Wednesday off the Egyptian coastal town of Rosetta.
However reports gave conflicting figures for the exact number of people aboard the boat.
It gave an estimate of 400, while another report said the vessel was carrying no fewer than 300 people.
It said that the boat passengers included Egyptians, Syrians, Sudanese nationals, Somalis and Eritreans.
Authorities succeeded in rescuing 163 people, including 123 Egyptians, from the accident, according to the report.
In recent years, Egypt has seen an increase in migrants trying to travel across the Mediterranean Sea to Europe.
Report says regional turmoil and high unemployment rates are the main factors behind the risky journeys.